Ward off pain and stiffness and boost your energy and alertness. Set a timer to go off once an hour, get up and stretch to combat the tightness that leads to neck, back and shoulder pain.
- Hip stretch – cross your foot over your opposite knee; lean forward at the hip; stretch felt in buttocks region
- Modified childs pose – place your hands at the edge of the desk walk back arms-distance; drop chest to stretch the upper back and shoulders
- Spinal twist – Push your sitting bones into the chair; lift torso and twist to one side and hold the back of the chair on each side
- Upward facing dog – place hands at the edge of your desk press hips forward as you lift and bend backwards in the spine. Stretch your straight arms out wide and bring palms towards each other; opening up the chest and drawing the shoulder blades towards each other
- Side stretch – Lift arm up and across the body.
All stretches should be counted for 5 five breaths. Stop if you experience any pain or discomfort and consult your healthcare practitioner.